A pioneering creative partnership between the Philharmonia Orchestra and Soft Touch Arts working with teenagers in Leicester, this urban-classical fusion project brings together two expert arts organisations to deliver intensive, skills-enhancing creative activities and performance opportunities. In 2016/17 Symphonize expanded to Kingston in London, in partnership with Kingston Music Service.
Working in targetted areas of Leicester, the partnership aims to enhance the lives of participants through intensive creative activities leading to a performance with world-class Philharmonia musicians and Soft Touch Arts producers. Symphonize offers training in performance, music technology, recording, production and composition with experienced professionals, aiming to equip young people with new skills, increased confidence and social connection, broader horizons and motivation.
The project includes:
- Training for leaders, musicians and young mentors, to include skill-sharing and exchanging experiences.
- Outreach ‘taster’ workshops with up to 50 participants aged 11 to 19 with Philharmonia musicians and Soft Touch hip-hop,reggae and dub producers.
- An intensive project with specialised workshops to compose, produce, record and perform live an original work blending classical repertoire and style with urban and electronic beats.
- An associated video performance to create and manipulate visual content inspired by the work of the musicians and the themes for the project.
Symphonize is generously supported by:
- Edith Murphy Foundation
- The R J Corah Foundation Fund
- Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation
The future of Symphonize depends on continued fundraising. If you would like to support Symphonize, please contact the Philharmonia’s Development team on 020 7921 3903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.